connerh

1Q84
Jay Rubin, Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami
The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso
Dante Alighieri, Robin Kirkpatrick, Eric Drooker
The Purgatorio (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Dante Alighieri, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Peter Bondanella, Julia Conaway Bondanella
The Interpretation of Dreams (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Sigmund Freud, A.A. Brill, Daniel T. O'Hara, Gina Masucci MacKenzie

Speak

Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson 2.5 stars

I appreciate this book for what it is. At its time of publication, the "young adult" novel was still in its infancy and there weren't many books in the genre willing to explore important subjects. Anderson was one of the first young adult authors to understand her audience and come up with something with literary value they'd actually want to read.

I'm not going to write an in-depth review because there are a ton of reviews for it on this site already. The prose is on occasion surprisingly funny, and the main character is believable without being likable. I feel like my enjoyment of this novel was hampered by the fact that I had read some truly awful imitations of it before I got around to it, and couldn't quite get those out of my mind as I read. But while I didn't particularly enjoy reading this, I don't feel like I completely wasted my time either.

I will say that after working through most of the canon of Ms Anderson, I found "Wintergirls" to be the best thing that she has written.