connerh

1Q84
Jay Rubin, Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami
The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso
Dante Alighieri, Robin Kirkpatrick, Eric Drooker
The Purgatorio (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Dante Alighieri, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Peter Bondanella, Julia Conaway Bondanella
The Interpretation of Dreams (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Sigmund Freud, A.A. Brill, Daniel T. O'Hara, Gina Masucci MacKenzie

The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger Catcher in the Rye is the quintessential American novel for disaffected youth. At first glance, the writing might seem choppy and juvenile, but if you let go of your inner critic a little, it is emotionally spot-on. I read this book when I was fifteen or sixteen, and at the time I found the protagonist to be very relatable, which goes to show that it is still very much a text meant to connect with the phenomenon of teenage angst. At the time, I felt a very strong connection with Holden. This book takes you directly into the mind of an incredibly insightful and lost teenager. You struggle right along with him as you follow him through a few nights of being homeless after leaving a school that he flunked out of. Holden did not fail out of this school because he is stupid. It was almost a personal decision not to try (as I type that I can almost hear the voices of angry adults reading it to me) because he saw through the "phoniness" of the school and nearly every adult around him and didn't want to be a part of it.
Fully reviewing the book would be redundant with the amount of text already written on it, which still retains it's relevance despite being published in the 1940's (although some of the slang is outdated).
This book is one that requires multiple reads to really appreciate, and since it's so short, I think it was meant to be read that way.