connerh

1Q84
Jay Rubin, Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami
The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso
Dante Alighieri, Robin Kirkpatrick, Eric Drooker
The Purgatorio (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Dante Alighieri, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Peter Bondanella, Julia Conaway Bondanella
The Interpretation of Dreams (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Sigmund Freud, A.A. Brill, Daniel T. O'Hara, Gina Masucci MacKenzie

The Children of Húrin

The Children of Húrin - J.R.R. Tolkien, Alan Lee, J.R.R. Tolkien Bleaker than the Lord of the Rings, The Children of Hurin tells the tragic tale of Hurin's children from when they were cursed due to their father's disobeying of the first dark lord, Morgoth, to their eventual demise.
Obviously this book is a masterful work of art, since it was written by Tolkien. However, it was rather dull and difficult to get into, and the climax to the end of the novel was really the only time that the plot had me riveted. The Old English was difficult to stomach at times, and I couldn't read much of it at one time. It's easier to comprehend and certainly more accessible than his other works, for example, It wasn't as much of a struggle as, say, the Silmarillian, but it was still not an easy read. Also, I wasn't too fond of the characters, and the main character lacked any sort of relatability for me.
This book was not a completed work, per se, since it was never actually published by Tolkien. So I'm sure that there were revisions he should have made. I never felt attached to any of the characters, since Tolkien rarely takes us into their heads, and it seems that large segments of the book were skipped over at times. You really have to pay attention to this book and read each word closely to not become lost in the dizzying narrative.
If you're not a Tolkien fan, this wouldn't be one of my top recommendations, but if you are, you definitely shouldn't pass this up.