connerh

1Q84
Jay Rubin, Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami
The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso
Dante Alighieri, Robin Kirkpatrick, Eric Drooker
The Purgatorio (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Dante Alighieri, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Peter Bondanella, Julia Conaway Bondanella
The Interpretation of Dreams (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Sigmund Freud, A.A. Brill, Daniel T. O'Hara, Gina Masucci MacKenzie

Point Of Impact

Point Of Impact - Stephen Hunter Frankly, I could hardly stand this book. Guns and shooting have never really been able to hold my interest, so this probably wasn't a good pick of book for me. Still, while the writing was altogether pretty good and descriptive, the book was not interesting for me. There were a few chapters that I really enjoyed reading, but aside from those, I was bored. Not that there wasn't enough action, there was certainly plenty of it, but the way it was described was with a kind of a brutal clarity….well, more like a clinical, detached precision, and they weren't that much fun. None of the characters were really all that likable. I couldn't really relate to any of them, with a maybe exception of one. There was never any point that I was afraid for a character, because I don't think the author did a very good job with creating characters that you could care about. The gruff Bob Lee Swagger was alienated and withdrawn, and while this could have worked with a different character model, he was just a brusque, mostly unsympathetic character that I had difficulty connecting with. While I do appreciate the move that Hunter was trying to make here, taking the thriller back to a very intelligent, cunning person instead of technology, I didn't like the characters that much at all.
The plot was just decent, and while I did enjoy seeing what nearly impossible odds Bob would beat with his wry wit, it was mostly a disappointing plot.
Altogether, I was very disappointed with this book, and while I don't exclusively regret reading it, there was definitely better material I could have read during the weeks it took me to struggle through this dull "thriller".