connerh

1Q84
Jay Rubin, Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami
The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso
Dante Alighieri, Robin Kirkpatrick, Eric Drooker
The Purgatorio (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Dante Alighieri, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Peter Bondanella, Julia Conaway Bondanella
The Interpretation of Dreams (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Sigmund Freud, A.A. Brill, Daniel T. O'Hara, Gina Masucci MacKenzie

Scorpia Rising

Scorpia Rising - Anthony Horowitz 2.5 stars
Like nearly everyone else that reviewed this, I've been reading this series for a very long time, ever since the first book came out when I was in middle school. I was riveted right away by Alex and the smart spy plots he was a part of. We were similar in age and he was the kind of character that I wanted to be. As soon as a new book in the series came out I would rush to buy it and I was never disappointed with each new story. Yes, it's in the nature of a series like this to be the same basic story over and over, but it was done in a way that was not repetitive at all and deeply enjoyable. For a young adult series, Alex Rider has always been intelligent. It's educational about subjects dealing with the plot in a similar way that a Series of Unfortunate Events was to vocabulary. Fast-forward to Crocodile Tears, and I got the feeling Horowitz just wasn't trying as hard. A lot of the disposition of the main bulk of the novels just wasn't there for me, and I couldn't get into it as I used to. I'm not sure of this was because the quality of the writing or because I was simply older. So I didn't come to Scorpia Rising with as high expectations as I would have had I not read Crocodile Tears recently. But still, when reflecting on how I felt about this, #9 out of 9 in a beloved series, all I feel is disappointment. I'm not saying it's a bad book, it's not, and this still would beat out nearly any young adult action/spy novel that you could possibly find. But when looked at as a finale instead of as a standalone, it feels rushed and unexceptional. Maybe the series just ran over too long of a timespan to hold it's appeal, as I didn't really enjoy any of the books past Snakehead, although I will always look back on this series with a glow of nostalgia.